Powered By Blogger

Monday, January 16, 2012

Homestay in Sapa: An authentic experience


During the homestay in Sapa, after eating a full dinner with the rest of the abroaders, I ventured to the next room where our tour guide and host family was enjoying more traditional versions of the foods they had prepared for us. Instead of fried chicken and vegetables, they had boiled chicken (bone still intact) and boiled vegetables without the salty and spicy seasonings I had just eaten next door. The family was incredibly welcoming, liberally sharing their rice wine and authentic style foods.


Immediately after a huge bight of bland, boiled chicken I noticed the bloodied beak, head and claws of the bird in a bowl in the center of their dining table. I turned my attention back to our hosts, pretending to be unphased by the dead bird's open beak and eyes. In that moment I confirmed what our tour guide, Quynh told me--I was partaking in a truly authentic dinner experience with the country people of Sapa.

No comments:

Post a Comment